Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Talk about your blank canvas

I sat down to write. I was getting back into the swing of things. I was motivated and sharp and had a bunch of ideas. I was going to start slow, knocking out a short story - or a good chunk of one.

Then my butt hit the chair. And I was lost.

I mean, I knew where I was. It was my house, and it was my desk. But that blinking cursor was laughing at me. (I am not kidding. I heard it, and it wasn't the kids next door.)

It took a little while, but I managed to shake the rust off, and I actually got some words down on that blasted page. And most were even in English (I even capitalized some). Did they make sense? Probably not. I'm sure it's something I'll look at later and laugh. Or cry. Or laugh and then cry.

But that wasn't the point of this exercise. More than anything, I just needed to sit down and start to get back into some sort of groove after being gone from the game for so long.

I didn't expect greatness. However, I did expect at least to be able to sit down and start typing words. I mean, come on. It took like 10 or 15 minutes of fidgeting and knuckle popping before I was able to hammer out a coherent sentence. That was unexpected, but once I got going, I could see where it came from.

More than anything (for me anyway), writing is about rhythm and routine. I get myself into a sort of timing where I can knock out 2,000 solid words in an hour and that's when I'm pretty much my most effective. I'm no where near that right now, though.

As far as substance? I'm not concerned about that now. I just need to get some ideas down on paper and weave them through some sort of coherent sentences. It doesn't even matter to me if I ever read what I most recently wrote again. This is about getting back on the horse right now.

I knew it was going to take some time to get it back, but anybody that knows me knows I have the patience of a 4-year-old. And a hungry one, at that.

But if there's anything I can wait on, it's this. I know what the good stuff is for me, and what it feels like when I get that timing back. I just have to wait for it. Half the fun will be finding it again.

14 comments:

  1. Fine post. I think will be enjoyable to everyone.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful writings. Good thinking. Keep going. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excelent work. Will be beneficial for others. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece of work. Of course an useful post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post have many informative views that is appreciable.
    Thanks for sharing these information.
    Seo Company in Gurgaon India

    ReplyDelete
  6. To enter 680 weather contest, candidates needs to sign into your online account and fill out the online ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Article are written by the author are very informative and have a unique idea to share. Thanks for sharing this Information with us.
    We provide English speaking course online at very resonable price with 100% Sucess rate by AIBEDUCATION.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You Very Nice Blog Writing, AtBespokeHomes We offers an exclusive designing and custom homes building process. Whether you’ve been waiting to design and build your own home, are looking to develop a townhouse site or knockdown and re-build an existing home, we’ll make your vision come to life. Our trusted network of draftsmen and architects will create a unique design just for you, or we can work with your existing plans to ensure we achieve your perfect home. custom home builders melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever your goals or aspirations are, Josfit mission is to assist you to succeed and reach your transformation in a measured, professional manner and to critically maintain your ongoing success.If your goal is to lose weight, improve your fitness, or just to have fun, then JosFit Personal Training can help you. You can contact us anytime for Mobile personal training operation and personal Training sessions.
    personal training sessions, personal trainer point cook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr Itua Herbal medicine cures my hpv and hsv,Dr Itua also cures all sorts of chronic illness and diseases with his herbal medicine he can cure hiv,herpes,Lupus,Hpv,cancer, and other human body infections.
    Visit his herbal website https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/ or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he's a man with a good heart

    ReplyDelete