Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rewrite takes its toll

It's been 10 days since my last post. It seems like 10 years.

Well, maybe that's just how much I've aged in that time. In the past 10 days, I have been enlightened, distracted, overjoyed, embittered, intoxicated, and even bit by a spider. And all of that came about either during or as a result of my current rewriting process.

It's getting to be a bit of a wear on the constitution, to be sure. The problem is that I don't really like second-guessing myself, but it's imperative that I do so. As a newspaper reporter, I hack things out, give it one tidy run through and POOF it's out of my hands. Then I'm on to the next story.

This is much bigger, much more involved, and much more important to me than some story about a hockey coach I crank out in 30 minutes. My writing is me, and I don't want to screw it up. I don't know if my story is better or worse. Obviously, I think it's better - now anyway. Back to the newspaper stuff, I'm used to getting done and it's right the first time and that's good enough. Now, that's not good enough, and it's a little of an adjustment for me.

I've made great headway, and I should be closing in at wrapping up this draft some time in the near future. And then I'll give it to some buddies to read and rip to shreds. But for now, I'm still plowing through.

I've heard time and time again that writing is the easy part, but the rewriting and editing are the parts where the novel really gets done. Sure, it's true. But it's still annoying sometimes.

Whenever I used to see one of those quotes about editing or rewriting, I used to think 'Wow, tha'ts pretty cool.' Now all I think is 'Oh, shut up, Faulkner. Like you had it rough.'

10 comments:

  1. I thought rewriting was the hard part too, until I had to compose a query letter. That, let me tell you is like having your teeth extracted without pain relief!!

    Practice makes perfect. So I've been told. Unless I've been lied to. Hmm....

    You'll get there. After all, you write well. Very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had a difficult time rewriting my short stories, and I can't say I'm entirely looking forward to the first rewrites of my current novel in progress. Maybe I can get all the pain and frustration out of the way by sympathizing with you, and then I'll just be used to it by the time I get to my own work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear how you're going. I so relate to this. Strangely, I actually enjoyed the rewrites of my Novel(about7 of them and about 22 edits amongst that). Why? Becasue I learned so much. That was where I did heaps of research about how to do it -first I learned that what I was taught at school all those years ago wasn't what made good writing. Also I knew that each time it got better.

    I did note however, how important it was to keep the inspiration going. Keep at it. You write well. I enjoy your blog and will come back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Efficient job. Worthy of applause. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worthy of applause. Looking for the next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very enjoyable post. I like it. Looking for more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Admirable post. Wants more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job. Everybody make post related comments. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr Itua Herbal medicine cures my hpv and hsv,Dr Itua also cures all sorts of chronic illness and diseases with his herbal medicine he can cure hiv,herpes,Lupus,Hpv,cancer, and other human body infections.
    Visit his herbal website https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/ or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he's a man with a good heart

    ReplyDelete