Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Strange Days

This is peculiar. I'm only a little ways away - probably two or three writing sessions - from finishing my first draft.

I can't believe I've written more than 70,000 words on something that started on Aug. 7 - exactly two months ago tomorrow.

I'm still trying to hammer out a couple more options as far as endings go, but this is the finish line. It feels weird. It's like I don't want to wrap it up because it seems like it's been one of the only things I've been thinking about for the past couple months.

Don't get me wrong, I want to finish the first draft, but it's a different kind of feeling knowing that you're writing the last few thousand words on something that started as just an idea clanging around my skull.

After I'm done writing, I'm going to do some housekeeping on the thing where I make a quick read through, do some quick editing and make sure I have everything in the right order. Then I'm going to print the thing and toss it in a drawer for a month or so. Probably more like six weeks.

But that still seems like miles away, even though I'm aiming to be printing this thing out for the first time in a couple of days. (A couple of days? Am I really this close?)

No comments:

Post a Comment