Thursday, August 20, 2009

Confidence is cool

I was able to hammer out about 2,300 words today, which is a great day by my standards.

These are the days that are the best when going through this process. I love writing, and I love how it feels to whip together a great sentence that speaks to you instead of just reads well. But when things really seem to take shape over a work session is the most rewarding thing.

When a kid turns a big blob of PlayDoh into (what he or she thinks is) a car or something, that's the best part. It might not look like much to everybody else, but they know what it is.

I don't know how many of those words are going to be hanging around when the ax comes down between first and second drafts, but I'm not worrying about that now.

Throughout this process, I've found out that confidence has a lot to do with it. There are going to be days where I feel like I was walking uphill through knee-deep oatmeal. Those days suck. But days where you are able to get a lot of something done are the days you have to remember.

Confidence is everything, I'm starting to believe. When you feel good about what you're doing, you're just going to write better. At least that's how it works with me anyway. It's not like I'm going to quit after the bad days, but these good days are the ones that have me where I can't wait to get back to it later.

And anything that keeps me stuck to the work is more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment