Saturday, August 29, 2009

It's the good stuff

Don't you love writing a part of your nove you know is one of the super-duper main parts of the story? But don't yout hate it, too?

I tackled that today in my 1,000 words. It's a confrontation between two of the main characters about the main theme in the book. The tough part? I didn't want to screw it up.

I know it's the first draft. I know when all is said and done that I'm probably going to change it a million times, and it's not even going to look anything close to what I pecked out today. But still, it was a little nerve-wracking, and that was different.

I've been writing all of my life. I've written for daily newspapers for the last 17 years, and there are very few instances where I fell uncomfortable when it comes to writing (at least that I've run into so far). But today was a toughie. This wasn't typing a story from some football game, it was an important part to the most engaging and all-encompassing writing project I've ever done for myself. Yeah, no pressure.

What I've got to realize is that the first time anything comes out isn't going to be the absolute final cut. I need to get the skeleton out, and then start to work the muscle on it when I go through subsequent drafts.

The best part about this? I'm actually starting to get the to the meant and potatoes of this project, and that's always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment