Friday, August 21, 2009

Stick to your guns!

I am a working stiff. I admit it. Worst part? I write 1,000s of words per day for my bill-paying gig as a reporter.

That leaves room for some burnout when it comes to the writing department. For me, that's no excuse to shirk the dream. I burn hours staring at the glowing cube of this laptop screen each day for work. Don't I at least owe it myself to spend an hour or two (at least) staring at this screen doing something I like?

That doesn't mean it isn't tough some days.

I'm trying to crank out my 1,000 words per day on the novel shortly after I get up, so I can get the creative juices used to flowing at the same time each day. Get in a routine, and then the muse will know when to show up for work each day, they say. (Who 'they' are remains to be seen, as I've never met 'them.') Sounds like good advice, so I may as well give it a whirl, right?

Still, there are days (like this one) where I don't get that writing in right away in the morning. That's why there might be coffee going at midnight at the Collins residence. I'm GOING to get those words in tonight.

Sure, I'm a little tired, but I'm also amped to be working on something I love. Can't lose sight of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment