Friday, September 25, 2009

Life isn't a distraction

Sometimes, I've heard, that life gets in the way of writing. I don't know if I really buy this.

Life might get in the way of the actual, physical process of writing, but it's those "drop everything!" moments that sometimes help out your writing. And when you miss out on a writing session, doesn't it make you want to get back to that darn project even faster? It does for me.

My latest example, and the inspiration for this post, happened with work today at the newspaper. I was able to break a story last night, and had to spend a good chunk of today chasing down follow-up stuff. That axed out my first of two writing sessions that I've grown accustomed to during the day. It was a rewarding day at work, but it made me appreciate my passion for my novel even more.

Now I can't wait for work to be done, so I can get to, well, work on what I really want to be writing. Usually when I'm at the point where I'm twitching and itching to get to work on the thing, I crank out a lot of words in a short amount of time, and I'm usually happy with the result. This might not be the case with everyone, but that's how it's worked for me.

I know this example isn't something a lot of people can relate to, but I'm sure people all have things pop up during some days that gets them away from their writing. Sometimes, those experiences make for great stuff to use in your writing.

When it's time to get back to the writing, don't curse life for stalling you, use it as a motivator. It's really worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment