Sunday, September 6, 2009

Stare straight ahead

Days like today are the reason why writing rooms need as few windows as possible.

It's 82 degrees with neither wind nor cloud in the sky, but I've got to get cranking on the book before heading to work. This is why I write with nothing in front of me but the computer screen and a wall that has been painted some shade of tan.

What I'm talking about here is distractions, and they're all over the place - especially for the sometimes-scatterbrained souls like myself. (You know who you are...Ooh! Something shiny!)

I have to stay dedicated, or this thing will get away from me. To do that, I have to be trapped in a room all by myself. The dog is allowed, too, but only if he's quiet. He knows the deal. I want no distractions. No TV. No radio. No nothing.

I don't want to look out the window and see people grilling and playing catch with a football. Of course I want to do that stuff. But mom creeps in here: You can do that stuff when you get your work done.

Priorities, mister! Priorities!

1 comment:

  1. Just stumbling upon your site as I struggle with getting through my first novel. Excellent blog. Keep the posts coming.

    This one was particularly relevant for me as I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk staring out the window (and I have to crane my neck to do this! LOL!).

    Thank you and I wish you the best!

    Dan Leone

    ReplyDelete