Monday, September 28, 2009

Testing dedication

Sorry for the lack of blog posts lately, but I have been on a mini-vacation.

I never knew how much I relied on a routine for writing the book when I was at home, until I took off from home. When surrounded by friends and family that you rarely get to see, it's hard to find time to yourself for writing (and updating your blog).

I know what you're thinking. You may remember a previous post on this blog about not letting life get in the way. What I'm going through with this lil' trip is a test of exactly that.

I have stuck to my guns, and I have churned out 1,000 words per day, but I had been used to getting at least 2,000 per day for a couple of weeks. I'm still comfortably on pace to have the first draft finished by the end of October, but the volume of words I've been writing has slowed over the past few days.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, this has allowed me to take a step back and look at some of the stuff I've written. I've learned that a lot of words doesn't always mean a lot of good words. I'm still pretty happy with what I've accomplished so far, but I think that now I've learned that sometimes you have to slow down to get another burst of momentum rolling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment